Thomas Edison Museum and Bluewater Bridge
Thomas Edison Museum
At one time Thomas Edison worked as a news butcher in the Fort Gratiot depot built in 1858 and occupied by Edison from 1859 to 1863. Here the trains connected Port Huron with the rest of the world and hauled freight between Port Huron and Detroit and Point Edward/Samia (Ontario).
The depot was converted into the museum to display Edison’s multi-faceted story of creativity, family support, adversity, perseverance, and ultimate triumph as one of the greatest inventors of our times.
The museum has hands on exhibits allowing you to re-create period environments for you to become participants in the story of Edison and to apply your own creativity and ingenuity as you learn about Edison’s life and his inventions.
The Edison family re-located to Port Huron from Ohio when Tom was a young boy. The museum shares the story of his time as a young boy and his school experiences and passion for scientific study fostered by his mother. It tells of his adolescent entrepreneurial efforts and his work on trains at this very location. You will also learn of the transitional times Edison had and the struggles he faced as a young adult going from one job to another. He faced some setbacks as he worked with his inventions and then saw some successes and his great contributions to society which you will see presented in a sit-down theater experience, live science presentations, and hands-on inter actives.
The museum also has outdoor exhibits providing insights into this heritage and highlighting Native American settlements, historic forts, the city’s transportation links, and its importance as an immigration gateway to the United States.
In the restored baggage care that sits on a spur outside the depot you will see a re-creation of young Edison’s mobile chemistry lab and printing shop
The Blue Water Bridge
The Blue Water Bridge is a twin-span international bridge across the St. Clair River that links Port Huron, Michigan, USA and Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. The Blue Water Bridge connects Highway 402 in Ontario with both Interstate 69 and Interstate 94 in Michigan.
The original span is a cantilever truss bridge with a total length of 6,178 feet (1,883 m) and a main span of 871 feet (265 m). The second, newer span is a continuous tied-arch bridge with a total length of 6,109 feet (1,862 m) and a main span of 922 feet (281 m).
Together, the two bridges are the second-busiest crossing between the United States and Canada, after the Ambassador Bridge at Detroit-Windsor. They also provide one of the four shortest routes of land travel between the eastern seaboard of the United States, and the central United States. The Blue Water Bridges are jointly owned and maintained by Canada and the United States: Blue Water Bridge Canada is in charge of the Canadian side, and the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is in charge of the U.S. side. A toll is charged to cross the bridges, which is used to pay for maintenance and operations.
The first bridge was opened to traffic on October 10, 1938. The lead engineer was Polish-born Ralph Modjeski. This bridge originally had two lanes for vehicles as well as sidewalks; the latter were removed in the 1980s to make room for a third lane for automobiles. The third lane for each direction started from the apex of the bridge in order to accommodate long lineups entering each sides' respective border crossings.
When the bridge and its associated bonds were paid off, Michigan Governor John Swainson used an executive order to cancel the $.25 toll that had been collected. "Stoically", he effectively cancelled his own father's "$6,115-a-year toll-collector's job", which John A. C. Swainson held since 1957.
The Blue Water Bridge during the winter.
In 1964, the eastern terminus of Interstate 94 was completed at the foot of the Blue Water Bridge on the American side. Traffic volumes steadily increased, spurred by the completion of Highway 402 in 1982 which provided a continuous freeway link to Highway 401 on the Canadian side. In 1984, Interstate 69 was completed to Port Huron which meant that three freeways converged on the three-lane bridge.
As a precursor to the upcoming twinning project, the customs and toll collection booths on both sides were extensively reconfigured in the early 1990s. On the American side, the I-beam girder overpass crossing Pine Grove Avenue was replaced by a much wider embankment, which also added a four-story customs office building in the center. On the Canadian side this necessitated the demolition of the original booths that had been in use since 1938; these were noted for their Art Deco style but they were too low to accommodate semi-trailer trucks which had been directed to the outside.
In 1992, it was determined that traffic on the bridge had exceeded its rated capacity. So bridge authorities decided to add a second span in order to accommodate the high traffic. During the debate over the form of the second span, five possible designs were proposed from 1994–1995. Over half of public opinion had mostly favored a duplicate of the first bridge, while the cable-stayed bridge came in second with around 21%. The Blue Water Bridge Authority had rejected both designs, due to the duplicate creating a false sense of history, while the cable-stayed option was feared to overshadow the existing bridge. Another cost-effective but unpopular design was the parallel truss. The continuous-tied arch design, which was a distant third place in polls, was chosen for two reasons. One was that it blends in with the original span yet stands out on its own, and the other is lower maintenance costs because fewer spans are involved.
The twinning project was a combined effort between Modjeski & Masters (American engineers) and Buckland & Taylor Ltd. (Canadian engineers). During the construction, two temporary masts were erected to assist in the construction of the tied arch; the towers were painted red and lighted, enabling them to be seen from afar. The approaches to the new bridge use box girders, compared to the original which hold up the road deck with trusses.
The second three-lane bridge, just south of the first bridge, opened on July 22, 1997. The first bridge was immediately closed for extensive renovation, and reopened in 1999. During this period, the new span used a three-lane configuration reminiscent of the one employed on the original bridge. A flyover ramp on the U.S. side temporarily diverted westbound traffic from the new bridge to the toll plaza, which was blocked off after the original bridge was rehabilitated.
In 2007, the Blue Water Bridge Authority agreed on a name for the federal Crown corporate name for their organization, Blue Water Bridge Canada.
In March 2009, the Canadian government announced that CA$13.5 million (US$10.8 million) in funding would be allocated toward upgrading the border crossing facilities at the Blue Water Bridge. The work was scheduled to begin in May 2009.
Construction was also underway in 2011 to widen and improve both Highway 402 on the Canadian side and co-signed Interstate 94/69 on the American side approaching the Blue Water Bridge.